Jet2.com, the UK low-cost airline, has launched a major recruitment drive for around 1700 new employees, including 700 ground-based staff, 900 cabin crew and up to 180 pilots. The airline has a fleet of 75 aircraft and is currently taking delivery of 34 new B737-800NG aircraft over a two-year period.
Basic entry criteria for pilots are:
- Minimum 500 hours Total flying time including
- Experience on a medium to heavy Commercial Multi Crew, Multi Engine Jet or Turboprop aircraft, or Military flying experience
- If Type Rated on the B737 or B757 – in excess of 500 hours flying time on type
- Valid UK issued EASA Pilots Licence (or the ability to convert to EASA)
- Valid UK issued EASA Class 1 Medical (or the ability to convert to EASA)
- The unrestricted right to work in the EU
- English Language proficiency – minimum level 4
Jet2.com are also taking applications for their Pilot Apprenticeship scheme. Jet2.com say that the scheme (which has been has been running for over five years) has been enormously successful in recruiting high quality, low hour pilots into the airline. Some of the first Pilot Apprentices are now approaching promotion to Command, having built their hours and worked their way through the Command Development Programme.
Iain Low, Aircrew Manager, says that key to the Pilot Apprentice scheme is the belief that a full understanding of the business is a huge advantage to new pilots embarking on a career with Jet2.com. To this end, Apprentices spend a great deal of time learning about all aspects of the company before embarking on their flying training. The benefit of this approach means that not only do the Apprentices understand the complex nature of the business, but can help impart this knowledge to the aircrew community.
The programme will normally take between 10 and 12 months to complete and usually starts with 4 months based in Leeds, 2 months in Business Development and up to 2 months as Cabin Crew. The Business Development phase involves working with and often as part of our commercial areas. This will include Marketing, Jet2holidays, Recruitment, Finance, IT, Engineering, Ground Operations, Customer Services, Flight Support and Safety. The focus during this time is on non-technical skills and the specific aim is to develop well rounded Flight Deck personnel who put the values of the Company at the heart of everything they do.
Once the Business Development phase is complete, Apprentices will undergo Cabin Crew Training followed by several weeks flying as Jet2.com Crew. This will further enhance understanding of the team that operates on board the aircraft whilst also providing an opportunity to develop team skills and Crew Resource Management.
The final phase of the Pilot Apprenticeship will directly involve Flight Operations activities. Apprentices will usually work in the crew room at one of Jet2.com’s bases alongside the Base Management team, assisting with all aspects of the operation as well as flight preparation. There will also be the opportunity to spend time with the crews, in the cockpit, during flight to observe the daily flight operation.
At the end of the Base phase the flying training will commence with a Type Rating on either the Boeing 737 or Boeing 757. This fully bonded course normally takes place at Jet2.com’s Training Centre in Bradford. Technical training is followed by up to 50 hours in a full motion simulator to prepare for Base Training. The Apprentice will then learn to operate the aircraft on the line, joining the Fleet as a Second Officer, with excellent prospects for promotion to First Officer after the first year’s flying.
Applicants for the Pilot Apprentice scheme must have:
- A valid UK-issued EASA Pilots Licence (or the ability to convert to EASA)
- A valid UK issued EASA Class 1 Medical (or the ability to convert to EASA)
- Completed a Jet Orientation Course (JOC) and Multi-Crew Co-operation course (MCC)
- Have strong ATPL results and Training record
- Hold a valid Multi-Engine Instrument rating
- Have the unrestricted right to work in the EU
- Have English Language proficiency – minimum level 4
More details on the Apprenticeship and application process can be found at: www.jet2careers.com/pilots/apprenticeships/